GUIDELINES FOR ARTICLES, REVIEWS, PHOTOGRAPHS, EVENTS, ETC
Thank you for your interest in contributing to Ceramics: Art & Perception and Ceramics TECHNICAL. We work to present the highest quality writing and photography available so that these journals continue to be sought after by all
interested in ceramic art.
Checklist for article submission:
• Microsoft Word document of the article sent electronically. Footnotes will be used as endnotes and must be placed at the end of the article in your Word document, not at the end of each page. All URLs should be used as references at the end of the text and not within the text. Please do not put a link on URLs. • A separate Microsoft Word document of the image captions. • Ten to twelve high resolution images sent electronically in .tiff format and CMYK colour palette set to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Please do not send more than 12-15 images and please do not lock images. • Please be sure that all image and file titles contain a reference to the artist or article for easy identification. • Your contact information including email address • A two to three sentence statement about the author • An image of the artist, if it is a one or two person article • An image of the artist’s chop/signature directly on a piece • A verification that it has not been submitted elsewhere
Guidelines for Articles, Reviews, Photographs
Articles: • May be on any subject of interest to ceramics artists, potters and sculptors, galleries and collectors, schools and teachers.
• May be of historical, contemporary, local, international, philosophical, aesthetic, educational, technical, ethnological value.
• May be of any length necessary (recommended 500 to 2500 words) to tell the story.
• Commentary, criticism, innovative research, first-person profiles, reviews of exhibitions, books, events, details of future events (allow at least a six-month lead time), all will be welcome.
• Articles must be typed; to suit Macintosh (Microsoft Word) computers.
• Please retain a copy of the article for yourself.
• Image files must be submitted as digital images. They may be sent to our office on a CD, attached a few at a time to emails or they may be uploaded to yousendit.com or dropbox.com. They must be a minimum of 300–450 ppi, saved as either a TIFF or EPS. Jpeg format is only acceptable if saved at maximum compression and in CMYK colour format. Lower compression removes information from the image and leads to poor reproduction.
• Images to accompany articles or for the Gallery Review must be professional colour images. The larger the format and the sharper the focus the better for reproduction.
• Objects should be photographed on a plain or subdued untextured, neutral background.
• Sufficient space should be left around the object in the photograph for larger reproduction, as in bleeding off the edges of the pages and for superimposed titles as in title or cover pages.
• Images must be labelled with explanatory captions including: Title. Year. Dimensions (i.e. 5 x 10 in.). Materials/process. Photo by . . .
• Photographic credit will be given if provided.
• If you have any queries regarding images, please do not hesitate to contact us.
• Diagrams should be well drawn and labelled.
• Deadlines are continuous. As soon as you have something ready, send it in. • Payment, as yet only modest, is made for original articles published. We will also send you (as the writer) a copy of the published magazine.
• Contact will be made when we receive material from you; please include your name, email address, mailing address, telephone and fax (if available) numbers so we can contact you easily. We like to check articles with you when they are ready for printing.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Elaine Henry, Editor Ceramics: Art and Perception/TECHNICAL 23 North Scott Street – Suite 19
Sheridan, Wyoming (WY) 82801 USA